How-To Guide

How to Release Acreage from a State Mineral Lease

The basic procedures for releasing acreage from a state mineral lease are set forth below.  For more information, please refer to the comprehensive requirements.

Should you have any questions, please contact Veronica Bateman at (225) 342-3359 or Veronica.Bateman@LA.GOV.

Basic Procedures
  1. Prepare a release packet containing the following:

    1. For a full release, enclose a certified copy of a release instrument, which contains the number(s) of the lease(s) being released, and which has been signed by all working interest owners, witnessed, notarized and recorded.

    2. For a partial release, enclose a release document, as described in (a) above. Additionally, the packet must contain accompanying exhibits and additional information as outlined in the comprehensive requirements.

  2. Submit the release packet to the Office of Mineral Resources, Attention Docket and Lease Ownership Section, 617 N. Third Street, 8th Floor, Baton Rouge, Louisiana 70802.