How-To Guide

How to Request a 29-E Waiver on a state lease well

The State Mineral & Energy Board has authorized the Secretary or Staff member designated by him to act on behalf of the Board to waive Office of Conservation State-wide Order 29-E spacing requirements as pertains to a state lease well, provided, a reasonable unit for the state lease well involved is formed within 180 days after completion of the well.

Should you have any questions, please contact Jason Talbot, at (225) 342-4621 or

How do I to obtain a letter of no objection for a 29-E Exception to Well Spacing?

Send a plat depicting your well surface and bottom hole location, a directional survey and annotated copy of the well log along with a letter explaining the situation which requires a letter of no objection to:

    Geology Lands Administrator
    Office of Mineral Resources
    Louisiana Department of Natural Resources
    P.O. Box 2827
    Baton Rouge, Louisiana 70821-2827

How do I obtain approval for an escrow agreement so that I can start producing my well?

After you submit the information referenced above, the Office of Mineral Resources will issue a letter of no objection with the requirements that:

  1. You escrow all revenue from production and deposit the revenue into an FDIC insured interest bearing account,

  2. Each month you submit a copy of the escrow account’s monthly statement to the Mineral Income Division of the Office of Mineral Resources,

  3. You form a reasonable unit within 180 days after well completion,

  4. You disburse revenue from the escrow account on a unit basis.